翻译自 55 Ways to Have Fun With Google, 第 1 则. 想挑选一些比较有趣的翻译出来共享.
你是否曾经在 Google 中搜索过自己的名字, 看看别人怎么评价自己? 几乎每个人都或多或少地干过这个事情. 事实上, 如果你还没有 Google 过自己的名字我认为你应该试一下——须知了解一个不甚熟悉的人的最佳方式便是 Google 他一下, 这决定别人对你的预判断. 知道你在别人眼中的形象, 是很重要的.
在 Google 中搜索自己的行为被称为 “egogoogling” (用 Google 查找单词ego 的意思). 很多时候这是一个有趣的游戏. 输入你的名字, 在后面再打个 “是”, 并把整个关键词用双引号(“)括起来, 例如这样:
好, 在搜索结果的片段中你也许会发现许多从不知道的东东! 例如, 当我们研究 “小明” 这个名字的时候, 得到下列结果:
你不仅可以用 Google 来寻找自己的信息 (或者就当开个玩笑好了, 毕竟这世界上很有可能有别的人也叫小明) , 还可以用来寻找那些名人的信息. 例如, 把名人的全名打到 Google 里头, 在后面加上 “是”, 并把整个搜索字段用引号括起来, 像这样
- 芙蓉姐姐是网络个人时代的 “章子怡”
- 芙蓉姐姐是覆盖全亚洲的具邪教 性质的黑社会香主
你也可以用其它关键词, 例如 “生于”, “在” 等来代替 “是”, 获取更多的结果. 你也可以对东西 (而不是人) 进行这些操作. 如 “小笼包” 等等.
如果你不能访问 Google , 这里给出了一些现成的常见名字的结果. (嘻嘻, 中国人起英文名前好像也最好先 Goo 一下)
- Aaron is a monotonic anchor.
- Adam is a deeply disturbing and depressing film.
- Alan is AI’s pattern-matching chatbot.
- Albert is so cute!
- Andrew is the Patron Saint of Scotland.
- Anthony is probably the best male vocal out there.
- Arthur is kind of in a category by itself.
- Brandon is for the birds.
- Brian is embarrassed that he needs the extra help in school.
- Carl is just sitting there in Nashville!
- Charles is also a coach of AYSO youth soccer, an officer in the PTA of the local elementary school.
- Christopher is of mixed heritage (Asian-American).
- Daniel is a natural talent .
- David is not allowed computer access.
- Dennis is one of Britain’s best known entrepreneurs.
- Donald is rarely easy to understand, and people have supposedly heard him say all sorts of risque things. Donald is a Professor in the Department of Psychology.
- Douglas is “King of California.”
- Edward is a biological human (not a robot).
- Edward is coming BACK to television.
- Eric is featured on guitar and mandolin on the songs Viargra and Gypsy woman.
- Frank is hilariously funny on what makes us red-staters different from luestaters
- Fred is leading the Franklin Templeton Shootout after 2 rounds!
- Gary is the editor and compiler of ResourceShelf.
- George is, quite simply, the worst helpdesk technician ever.
- Gerald is frightened and doesn’t understand why the woman wants to assist him.
- Gregory is recognized as one of the very foremost orators.
- Harold is an original.
- Henry is currently in jail.
- Jack is looking for a house with about half an acre of land to buy in California.
- James is as forthright as an Old Testament prophet.
- Jason is who the JASON Project is named after.
- Jeffrey is helping to clear up this cosmic murkiness.
- Jeremy is a conscientious worker who can usually be relied upon.
- Jerry is a master at understanding your goals for the photograph and then creating the perfect lighting.
- Joe is “LIVE” daily.
- John is succeeding marvelously in journalism’s highest calling: to encourage people.
- Jonathan is writing a magical fable of his grandfather’s village in Ukraine.
- Joseph is the Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director.
- Joshua is home now.
- Juan is similar to the one at the top of this page.
- Justin is practicing walking on his hands.
- Keith is a true character who comes across as being very sincere.
- Kenneth is a strong advocate for community building and social change.
- Kevin is creative director and co-founder at Lightroom.
- Larry is also a political planner.
- Lawrence is a New York Real Estate Broker specializing in Putnam.
- Mark is coauthor of Inside Windows 2000, Third Edition (Microsoft Press).
- Matthew is believed to have used Mark and the theoretical source.
- Michael is abandoning the music business to release his songs online for free instead.
- Patrick is one of the nation’s best young auto racers.
- Paul is backwards in line and taller than everyone else, again.
- Peter is a consultant with a distinguished academic track record.
- Ralph is not beyond fishing around for a philosophical explanation.
- Raymond is an observer-participant anthropologist in the Internet
- Richard is often accused of being overly concerned with himself.
- Robert is an elder in the Presbyterian Church (USA)
- Roger is approached by a gangling, spotty computer scientist.
- Ronald is known in more than 100 countries wherever you find McDonald’s restaurants.
- Ryan is clearly good at her job.
- Samuel is irresistible.
- Scott is arguably the most well-known and influential unknown composer.
- Shawn is now 26 years old, lives in San Diego, enjoys snowboarding, taking trips to Lake.
- Stephen is working with Marvel to produce a series of comic books.
- Steve is a DJ in Boston.
- Steven is writing the same song over and over.
- Terry is back with his new group, The Society for Truth and Justice.
- Thomas is still searching
- Timothy is an accomplished juggler.
- Walter is now 79 years of age and in excellent health.
- William is truly “fit for a king.”
- Alice is an AIML engine written in C++.
- Amanda is most known for her role in FOX’s hit TV show “The OC.”
- Amy is… sniff… sniff… sad about our recent barking on her “Re-name RSS contest.”
- Angela is absolutely swamped this week!
- Ann is only a writer – and NOT a private detective.
- Anna is helping out with the hurricane relief effort.
- Anne is a storyteller.
- Barbara is to go to Paddle Sports of Santa Barbara.
- Betty is distinctively heard singing alongside Michael.
- Brenda is the mother of 14 children, 12 of whom are adopted.
- Carolyn is currently training for the next WNBA season.
- Catherine is a star.
- Christina is also busy promoting the line of footwear “Skechers.”
- Christine is red and white.
- Cindy is in “love with the attention.”
- Cynthia is still on the border.
- Debbie is an International Magician.
- Deborah is pleased to announce two brand-new paintings!
- Debra is a nationally recognized expert on communication skills.
- Denise is funny, bright and bubbly.
- Diana is currently in London, England where she is working on the artwork….
- Diane is steadfast in her mission of marketing and negotiating the terms of the sale.
- Donna is recording her 2nd CD, “Feels Like Home”, which will be released in 2001.
- Doris is such a great zine.
- Dorothy is 5 Dinosaur years old, and is very wise for her age.
- Edith is only meaningful.
- Elizabeth is just south of the expanding Addo Elephant National Park.
- Ellen is Africa’s first lady president.
- Emily is nation’s young poet of the year.
- Heather is the one with the muscles.
- Helen is Coming To Town!.
- Irene: Irene is a wedding and portrait photographer serving parts of New England and New York State.
- Jane is one of Victorian literature’s rebellious heroines.
- Janet is fantastic.
- Janice is right there on that edge.
- Jennifer is a genius.
- Jessica is a joy and a delight that brings happiness to all of us.
- Josephine is Under Construction!
- Judith is no mythical personage.
- Judy is going to still have to answer to a higher authority.
- Julie is no longer a loner; she, too, learns about being a part of a community.
- Karen is an experienced tutor in both fiddle and step dance.
- Katherine is one of two large towns you will come across on the route between Darwin and Alice.
- Kathleen is foremost a musician.
- Kathy is married to Rick Hilton, who is the wealthy grandson.
- Kimberly is married to Johnny.
- Laura is not a psychologist nor a psychiatrist.
- Linda is now going to move to the south of Sweden.
- Lisa is furious with Debbie.
- Louise is a first-class song, there is no doubting.
- Margaret is not the enemy.
- Marie is an accomplished author with an important story to tell.
- Martha is “free.”
- Melissa is very open about her past.
- Michelle is as Michelle does.
- Nancy is also an award-winning video producer.
- Nicole is now working hard on a NEW collection of tunes.
- Pamela is coming into her glory today.
- Rachel is well on her way to achieving her goals.
- Rebecca is never seen, and yet she is the main character.
- Ruth is a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.
- Sandra is the fourth woman to win it all, compared to only three men.
- Sara is right. Yes, it is true.
- Sarah is still in the studio working.
- Sharon is expected to decide this weekend.
- Sherry is a type of wine originally produced in and around the town of Jerez.
- Stephanie is so afraid of germs, she can’t stop washing her hands.
- Susan is creative, perceptive, intuitive, and timely.
- Suzanne is not Sue.
- Tina is no acronym.
- Virginia is a five-day bike tour.
- Wendy is now the only comic featured on the website.
如果要给自己起英文名字, 是不是先 Google 一下, 看看和你同名的那些人都是什么货色会比较稳妥一些?
本文翻译自 Philipp Lenssen, 55 Ways to Have Fun with Google 一书.
本书遵照 Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 License 发行. 您可以任意:
- 复制, 分发, 放映, 展示此作品.
- 署名. 保留作者署名
- 非商业. 不用于商业用途
- 授权一致. 若你对作品进行了改变, 转换或基于此创作其它作品, 需使用同样的授权协议发布
遵照原书版权协定, 本中文翻译使用同样授权, 请照此执行.